Saturday 29 November 2008

0

Artic outdoor market

I've read countless headlines in women's magazines like '50 is the new 30', or '60 is the new 40' but they're keeping one quiet... Based on recent anecdotal evidence, 29 is the new 80.


Today I was hawking my wares at an outdoor market. It was below freezing and I was standing from 9AM to 4:30PM. It took about five hours from when I got home for my hands to unfurl from their purple lobster claws. My skin is prickly and hot but my skeleton is cold. I am hobbling around in a less than upright position. Inexplicably, my fingernails hurt.


It was a good day though, I sold quite a few things, including a coat that I hadn't even had a chance to photograph yet. You'll just have to trust me, it existed. The Christmas CD playing nearby made me feel festive, although it's appeal diminished as the hours rolled by. I got a reprieve from internecine toddler warfare.

My stall was between two lovely, talented women. Bryony Knox makes exquisite metalwork with moving parts, from little brooches and animals to larger automated sculpture. A lot of her inspiration is from the circus, mythology and heraldry, and Punch and Judy. That's my kinda inspiration!! We both recently finished the final series of the Sopranos, and ruminated over the final episode over coffee and soup. She has a son Maia's age who is now sporting a cowboy hoodie!

On my other side was Jessica Walter selling very pretty and unique contemporary jewellery and knitwear. There probably isn't a nicer person in the world, as evidenced by the 400 or so friends who visited her throughout the day!


Here is a picture of Maia drinking her bottle from a bucket. It just made sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment