Sunday 18 April 2010

20

My slightly NSFW doppelganger

If you are related to me and male, please leave my blog now. This post is not for you.

After the kids were in bed last night, I stripped down to my underwear, we broke out the cling film and wrapped me up like a present. Before you start thinking 'Amanda is an oversharer', I want to reassure you that we had non-kinky motivations. Then we covered me in duct tape like so:


Again, not kinky. Fast forward 12 hours of stuffing and padding later, and I have a dress form just like me!


I bought far less duct tape than I should of so it's a bit lumpier than it should be. But likewise, covering me in cling film and duct tape makes me less lumpy so maybe we're even?


I've been wanting to make a dress form for ages because I have a really hard time adjusting the fit of things while I'm wearing them. I've been desperate to join in on Spring Top Week hosted by Made By Rae but I wouldn't have been able to make the top I wanted to without a dress form. Fingers crossed that it's more or less accurate, but the way it's modelling my new dress gives me hope!


Although I didn't do everything she said to do (more fool me) the tute I read before embarking is here. Oh, and readers? The fact you now pretty much know what I look like naked is something we shouldn't discuss unless you want me to die of embarrassment. But if I find out what you look like naked then we can be BFFs and discuss it all day long.

20 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to do this for ages! You look good naked ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link, I've been meaning to do one for ages too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work! Duct tape dummies are awesome for leaving sitting around and scaring people with. Just don't pin into it or you'll have your pins all gunked up and no good for putting in fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats really good. I will have to have a go if I can find anyone who wouldn't faint trying to wrap me in duct tape!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the words of the lovely Gok, great bangers! Great idea too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am now dying of jealousy over your boobs!

    How can you have had children. HOW?!?!

    I'm off to go and stuff my pre-pubescent chest with tissues or something so I can stop feeling so inadequate...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of this before so when I saw the pic I thought you'd gone mad wrapping yourself in duct tape! Glad to see there's a v good reason :o) The red dress is beautiful.

    Thanks for your comment on my blog - I feel a bit reassured about my use of cerise thread with duck egg! Have fun with your cling film dummy xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another jealous-of-your-figure girly here. I keep meaning to do this too. In fact I recently bought some big rolls of duct tape for a friend as a housewarming present so we can spend a day soon taping each other up!!
    Fantabulous dress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried this once too. Except I hadn't read that helpful tut about using cling wrap underneath and so I tried it with a T-shirt underneath. Also, the person in charge of wrapping me in tape and wielding the knife to cut me out of it was half-crocked. I don't recommend either of those things. Folks with sensitive lungs should be aware that the adhesive in duct tape might cause you to have an asthma attack which may be aggravated by some newly discovered claustrophobia issues.
    I'm just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can assure you: You have no reason to feel emberrassed, you look great.

    By the way, how hard was it to peel you out of all that duct tape? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous ! I've been thinking about this but I lost the blog with instructions on...that and the fact I chickened out of confronting my body...

    Your second body looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mercy, where were you hiding those babies? Your clothes camouflage your chest apparently! I've been wondering how to do this too - I'll check out the link for questions like do I wear my padded bra, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can I do a 'whit whoo' for the dress please? Veh sexy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL!! Can we be duct tape BFFs? Mine is here....
    http://txdeshazers.blogspot.com/2009/02/duct-tape.html
    and I LOVE her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. O-gosh, I've been meaning to make a duct-tape dress form for ages. But, gotta learn to sew, first, ha :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. love the disclaimer - I laughed out loud ! your brother is off in hawaii so no worries here (life is not fair !?)

    -liz

    ReplyDelete
  17. I did this a while back, it was quite depressing to see where all those pies had ended up! I didn't stuff it straightaway and people kept asking what the strange spaceman jacket was all about!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now I understand why Maia is always talking up your boobs to strangers. She's proud.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So I totally did this like two years ago while my husband was downstairs doing renos (doesn't work so great when you do it by yourself, but I didn't want his sass.) He was playing with wiring and suddenly the power died.

    I was wrapped in duct tape, and had this flash in my mind of having to call 911 and then explain to the paramedics how I came to be covered in duct tape with an electrocuted husband. (fortunately he had just shocked himself a little.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well now that is a great idea. My husband would be useless at taping me up though. I'm sure he would want to start with the lower portion of my face...

    ReplyDelete